Starting the transfer case

As this quarter of school winds down, I decided to take a break from studying (read: I neglected to study for my finals at all and instead went outside to play in grease) and work on Ike a bit. Being the late afternoon/early evening, I knew I wouldn’t have much time to play. Unfortunately, the work bench was covered in oily cardboard, bits and pieces of previous rebuilding, crumbs of old grease, basically all kinds of old nasties.

This of course led to a chain of events. While clearing out the bottom shelf of the work bench, I needed something to sit on, so I grabbed my trusty (but VERY cheap) Harbor Freight short stool. When I rolled around to the other side of the bench, crossing over the seams in the concrete, one of the wheels broke right off. Not one to be discouraged about a broken piece, I took to fixing it (instead of Ike). About an hour later I decided to use my new-found welding skills and forced all the parts together with a washer welded on the end of the stud to keep things together. Apparently, when you have a welder, all your problems look like a weld can solve it. I also pretty much think that a welder is necessary if you plan on keeping much from Harbor Freight past the first 30 days in working order.

After accomplishing that, I set on to getting the transfer case up and on the bench to start tearing it down. Not only is this thing far heavier than it looks, it’s also very ungainly and has all kinds of dinguses sticking out that love to get caught on anything and everything. By this time, I had wasted most of the daylight and also was cutting too far into my study time, so I only got the first couple of pieces removed and photographed for eventual re-assmbly. One other thing to note, my garage once again smells like rancid gear oil. Like a gentleman.


Comments are closed.