Found some time

I finally got enough of a break in the MBA program to spend a few hours on Ike today.

After blowing all of the dust off of everything, I cleaned up the knuckle spheres and removed the kingpin bearing races. Instead of spending more time on the front axel and not having a frame to hang it from, I decided to turn my attention to the frame.

The frame itself was nearly perfectly cleaned by the sand blaster, but as can happen with such an intricate assembly, some spots were missed. Before I spray the rust encapsulating primer on there, I wanted to make sure that all of the old paint, grease, and other baked on crap was completely removed. I rolled the frame out into the driveway, and got to work.

One of the first things I needed to do was remove the handful of rivets that were still in the side rails from the outriggers that I had removed after the sandblasting was done. I also used a wire wheel to get off some areas of “baked-on” grease. I also went ahead and took off some of the remaining surface rust, even though it won’t be necessary for the primer I’m using.

Once I got the frame back into the garage, I did a test fit of the front bumper and rear crossmember. They were both a bit tight, so I’m not sure if I’ll adjust the frame horns, or if it’d be better to pull the bumpers open a bit. At this point, if I were to prime and paint the frame and the bumpers and then try and put them together, I’d be scraping an awful lot of paint off in the process. I want them snug, but I also want there to still be protection on the metal.

That’s it for now. I never thought doing my masters would take this much time away from the Jeep project. I expected to be done with frame and axles by now, so I’m a bit behind schedule. Luckily I’ve got a new quarter starting soon which should give me a few weeks of less school work and then summer break is just around the corner. At this point, I think I need to shoot at having a rolling frame by the end of the summer break.

 

 

I thought I’d include this too as a point of reference. This was the frame back in June 2011.


4 Responses to “Found some time”

  • Michael Brown Says:

    Good things come to those who wait, Rome wasn’t built in a day, … and so forth (you know the rest). This is awesome, Kurtis! The progress with Ike is coming along, and he will be better than new. Awesome project documentation and attention to detail!

    • Kurtis Franklin Says:

      Thanks for the encouragement Michael. Good things may come to those who wait, but it doesn’t make the wait any easier 🙂 Especially when you have to walk by all the stuff you wanted to do over the weekend to get into your car to go to work.

  • Joe Haggard Says:

    Making progress. I agree with Michael.