Painting the rear axle

It took two days due to the incredible heat and humidity limiting how much time I felt like spending outside, but I did get the brakes completely removed and the first coat of POR15 on a majority of the axle. I received my puller early last week, and it sure make a huge difference having an appropriately sized tool. The two that I had borrowed from my father-in-law were far too small to fit around my studs. After lubing the center screw, mounting pulling arms and center body, and getting the anvil wrench on, I went to town pounding. It only took a few good pounds to pull the hub off of the tapered axle shaft.

After looking at the internal brake parts, I went to work getting the assembly off so I could pull the backing plates off. I started on the drivers side, and after figuring out what the additional “adjusters” did on the backside of the backing plate, I was able to spread the shoes far enough out that I could remove the slave cylinder, the spring, and lastly the bottom anchors. Once the assembly was off, the backing plate and axle shims came right off. I ended up zip-tying the axle shaft keys into place, just so I wouldn’t loose them.

After I got the brake parts off, I finished cleaning up the axle flanges that I couldn’t quite get to while the bolts where in place. I also used the wire wheels to get a few spots I had missed with the sand blaster as well as some areas that had some seepage of oil from around the differential cover and the vent holes on the axle tubes. Since the surface was newly cleaned, appropriately scuffed/rough, then it was time to start paining.

I decided to do the everything but the differential cover. I’ll pull that off, give it a good blasting, and then paint it and put it back on with a proper gasket and new fasteners. I still have at least one more coat of POR15 to put on the axle, and I still need to get the areas being held by the jack stands. Luckily it’s going to be ready for brakes here fairly soon.


Comments are closed.